Friday, June 16, 2006

Even lovers need a holiday

Everybody needs a little time away
I've heard her say
From each other

Even lovers need a holiday
Far away from each other

Hold me now
It's hard for me to say I'm sorry
I just want you to stay
And after all that you've been through
I will make it up to you
I promise you

Peter Cetera, Chicago


In case you haven't noticed, I've not been around much lately. I've not blogged or commented in over three weeks, and now the very act of blogging feels strange. It's like having a conversation with an old lover when you can conjure the memories of your love, but no longer feel the emotion.

Life has been hectic and strange since early May, when I actually began pushing forward with my plan to publish an online literary magazine. Almost every aspect of my world has shifted focus. My personal life is in turmoil, and my professional life makes my personal life seem settled. Transit Gloria is NOT in the hands of an agent, for the first time since last fall. Then there's the Picolata...

The Picolata Review. My baby. My cherished, precious child. The one bright spot in an otherwise dark period in my life, The Picolata Review is my vision of what an online literary magazine should be. The time I've spent on it has been bliss.

The first issue will go live on the summer solstice, June 21. The front page currently has some teasers about that first edition. Go check it out. I hope you'll like my little magazine, and help me spread the word about the great writing inside.

p.s. My holiday is over. I'll be back blogging soon.

Mark Pettus,
Friday, June 16, 2006


19 comments so far. Thank you, Blogger Shesawriter, Blogger Mark Pettus, Blogger Naomi, Blogger Bernita, Blogger Mayden' s Voyage, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger anne frasier, Blogger Adam Hurtubise, Anonymous Anonymous, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Jeff, Blogger Shesawriter, Blogger Bernita, Blogger Shesawriter, Blogger Mark Pettus, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger jennifersando, Blogger WagerWitch, Blogger david,


Let me know what you think

Leave a comment

19 Comments

at 1:17 PM Blogger Shesawriter said...

I know how you feel about it feeling strange. I haven't been blogging either, Mark, and I almost forgot how to do it. I've got some weird HTML code that I have to deal with on my blog, so I almost had a moment where I didn't know what to do. But it's like riding a bike. :-)

Welcome back!

 
at 5:35 PM Blogger Mark Pettus said...

I've heard having sex was like riding a bike. I can't tell you how many miles I've logged on that bike - and trust me, it ain't the same.

Welcome back, Tanya.

 
at 7:57 AM Blogger Naomi said...

Picolata looks great - looking forward to the first edition, and I may be brave and submit something soon... Good luck with it.

 
at 8:44 AM Blogger Bernita said...

Missed you, Mark.
I checked every day.
Sorry your life has been frustrating as all hell.

 
at 2:21 PM Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

"A little west of famous"...
I like that! :)

Glad to see you :)
Sorry things have been difficult...
seems to be going around.

Hope to see you again soon :)
-Cora :)

 
at 3:58 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, the front page looks absolutely terrific! I've been so curious about how things are going with it.

 
at 8:15 PM Blogger anne frasier said...

mark, can't wait until wednesday! i have it marked on the calendar so i don't forget to blog about it. and how cool that you have stories from jeff and jamie, two of my favorite writers. :)

 
at 10:44 AM Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

Glad you're back, Mark. Missed reading your great stuff.

Adam

 
at 12:55 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll echo the sentiment that the Picolata site looks amazing! I will be in line on Wednesday to see the first edition.

 
at 8:46 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark you're a very strong writer! The Picolata has an inviting look and will be good reading. Keep pushing through the tough spots...

 
at 10:04 PM Blogger Jeff said...

I'm glad to see you back, Mark. Sorry things have been in turmoil for you. I hope they get better soon. I'm looking forward to The Picolata Review. Thanks again for letting me be a part of the first issue. :)

 
at 11:04 PM Blogger Shesawriter said...

Aw, Mark... Hugs to you, bud. (((Mark)))

Looking forward to Wednesday's edition.

 
at 2:25 PM Blogger Bernita said...

I said you were a clever, clever guy...

 
at 7:58 PM Blogger Shesawriter said...

Mark,

I tried to leave a comment in your newest post, but the comment thingie isn't working. Anyway, I loved the first issue. I went especially to read Jeff's contribution. It was fab!

 
at 10:13 PM Blogger Mark Pettus said...

Thank you, one and all.

 
at 3:38 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

The magazine is fantastic, Mark. Well done. I'm very happy with it and grateful you asked me to come onboard. Reviewing some of the remarkable submissions was and continues to be a pleasure, if at times daunting when it comes to making critical choices.

I'm sorry you, too, are travelling through personal dark roads right now. My thoughts are with you. My own life feels like it's made of cardboard right now, a broken heart you know the reasons for - let's just say inconsolable grief and leave it at that here - meaning that the current spell of unseasonably cold, wet, dreary weather here in West Yorkshire perfectly, and sadly, matches my mood. I'd say the temperature of my soul is just above freezing.

These are the lows that go with the highs to make life's journey what it is: a unique experience for every individual. Sure, life's a bitch but we love her regardless because she offers us good as well as bad.

See you on the other side, I'm sure. Take care my friend. x

 
at 6:39 AM Blogger jennifersando said...

Wow, Mark, congratulations on the launch of your magazine! Long live The Picolata Review! (I love the name, too)

 
at 1:48 AM Blogger WagerWitch said...

OMG - Ok - so I'm not the only one that's been away? LOL!

Hey sweetie - and love your look here.

hey - I put your Mock Cover up.

Hugs to you - and thought of you lots during the last few weeks - just no energy to come visit the blog.

Lady M

 
at 11:18 AM Blogger david said...

Sounds like you had a good holiday! I'm going to Germany soon...I hope I have as much fun as you have had! I am trying to learn german so i can at least understand the people there.

 

Post a Comment