Monday, April 03, 2006

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum

This is just one of those bizarre things that can only happen on the Internet.

I created my forums a few weeks ago, but had no idea what to do with them at the time, so I just kept their existence under wraps. When I decided to use them to post the RSS how-to, I thought I would go check Google to see if the forums had been picked up by the search engines yet.

I scrolled through several pages of Mark Pettus this and Mark Pettus that before I found this really bizarre page - about me:


MEG RYAN

(staring after him)

What a creep.

JOECLIFFORDFAUST.COM

Cowboy poet Mark Pettus agrees, but then proceeds to break his own rule, while treading on some other writing sacred cows.

MEG RYAN

Boy you said it, JOECLIFFORDFAUST.COM . (sighs) I certainly hope I never see him again.
Look, Meg Ryan is really cute, and if one of my books is made into a movie, I'm going to insist that Meg Ryan get a role, just so I can flirt with her at the cast party. Reading that she thinks I'm a creep, and that she hopes she never sees me again is not just confusing, it's damn near heartbreaking.

I didn't know how to get ahold of Meg, but I darned sure knew how to find this Joe Clifford Faust guy she was commiserating with, and I intended to get to the bottom of this one, PDQ.

Mr. Faust writes a blog titled:

WHITE MOMENTS
A web-log of interest to those in the divers areas inspired by the muses; fiction and non-, song-writing, acting, music, films, and what-not.

On his blog, he wrote a brief review of my post Ask a Stupid Question... . I wouldn't say his review was a ringing endorsement, but then again... he didn't exactly accuse me of clubbing baby seals (see my post about the feature I wrote on the Safari family, and the letters to the editor I received). Here - you read it:

One thing I always try and do in these pages is to assure other writerfolk looking for inspiration that what I set down in these pages is what works for me, and that they need to work at writing in order to learn what works for them. Cowboy poet Mark Pettus agrees, but then proceeds to break his own rule, while treading on some other writing sacred cows. His blog looks like it was typewritten and then cut out with scissors and assembled by hand, just like the way I used to do newsletters when I worked at the County Extension Office in Gillette, Wyoming. (via Metaxucafe)

Then I did the only thing you should ever do when faced with a review - I thanked him for reading, and that even if he wasn't exactly a new fan, he was a new reader, and y'all know how I feel about readers.

Joe was gracious, and responded that he meant his cut and paste comment as a compliment - that he had hoped to achieve the same effect on his website. I'm a little embarrassed that I thought otherwise - this isn't as bad as the whole Agent Kristin/Kirsten/Bernita-thinks-I'm-mean-and-sarcastic episode, but only because Joe doesn't have breasts, and I haven't sent him a query letter. Check out Joe's site, you'll never guess what the address is...

www.JOECLIFFORDFAUST.com

By the way, the thing with Meg Ryan? It's part of a screenplay generating program on dan liebke's astonishingtales.com . It's pretty cool, and on top of that, the pages it generates are picked up by search engines. Site Promotion 501 - We're talking graduate level PR stuff here, kids.

Mark Pettus,
Monday, April 03, 2006


11 comments so far. Thank you, Blogger Wyrfu, Blogger Wyrfu, Blogger ohdawno, Blogger Bernita, Blogger Joe Clifford Faust, Blogger WagerWitch, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Mark Pettus, Blogger Shesawriter, Blogger Kelly (Lynn) Parra, Blogger Frank Baron,


Let me know what you think

Leave a comment

11 Comments

at 10:44 PM Blogger Wyrfu said...

Well, I was here. You make me wonder whether I'm better off being unknown, unheard of and obscure. At least Meg Ryan's never said a thing about me. As far as I know... ;)

 
at 10:50 PM Blogger Wyrfu said...

I love Requiem For A Rose, by the way. A powerful piece.

 
at 1:39 AM Blogger ohdawno said...

I want to make time for your forum, I really do. I can't decide if I should give up an hour of sleep, eating or an hour on AW. Maybe I should stop "working" at the silly day job...

If you ever Google "Dawno" you get a lot of Polish sites. I had no idea I was so popular there. Sorta like David Hasselhof in Germany. Although I'm younger and sing better. And female. Not much like him at all, huh?

 
at 5:10 AM Blogger Bernita said...

Aawww, you loved the attention. You know you did...

 
at 9:17 AM Blogger Joe Clifford Faust said...

Mark, please let me know next time I'm in a movie with Meg Ryan so *I* can flirt with her at the cast party. Just don't tell my wife.

 
at 9:49 AM Blogger WagerWitch said...

Mark - darnit - you made me all teary eyed! Between you and B - I'm going to be sniveling myself to sleep.

I read Requiem for a Rose - and it was profoundly touching. *sniffle* I don't know who or what to feel most badly for: The writer, the Girl, The Rose being torn open.

About this piece here - that is almost hysterical. Sounds like searches only touch the bare lining to the full story. And it leads you to believe one thing, when in reality it might be something else.

I think it's a good thing to say then to not judge a search until you've read the background.

Hey wanna cover?

I want some of your pictures for covers... Trade? LOL! I'd do one for you anyway... But I thought I'd ask.

Take care of yourself.

Lady M

 
at 10:06 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the worst thing when you think someone is being critical, and then find out they aren't. I do it, everyone does - at least, I hope they do - and I always feel like such a tit and go away questioning why I took things the negative way.

I shall have to check out your forums! x

 
at 2:42 PM Blogger Mark Pettus said...

Clive, I'm so glad to have found you again. I always enjoyed your stories. Thanks -r.e. Requiem. Thank Kelly Parra for serving as my muse.

Dawno - I understand the time issue very well. I'm glad you found time today. Yesterday I had a phone conversation with Moni, and we talked about a friend of mine who is in the music business - his band has better luck selling records in Germany than they do here. (Bobby Ingram of Molly Hatchet) I wonder if I should go after a European agent or publisher...

Bernita - I love attention, I just prefer it be positive attention...

Faust - mum's the word.

Lady M - I'm glad you enjoyed Requiem for a Rose.

Tell me what picture/s you are interested in, and exactly what you want to do with it. In most cases, I'm willing to allow use with attribution. Email me.

Spicy - if I felt like a tit, I'd never leave the house.

Sorry

:)

 
at 7:02 PM Blogger Shesawriter said...

Mark,

This madness is why I love the blogging community. We all share the same insanity. Doesn't it feel good to know there are others out here like us? LOL! Where else could we have a semi misunderstanding about Meg Ryan, type-written/cut and paste blogs, cowboy poets, sacred cows, baby seals and breasts? Huh? LMAO!

 
at 1:49 AM Blogger Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Oh googling your name can be bad. You don't know what you're going to find! *laughs* I'm glad it worked out, though. And cool on the forums! Good way to interact with more writers!

 
at 2:47 PM Blogger Frank Baron said...

I'm sharing Dawno's boat time-wise but I'll peek at your forums. Good luck with them.

Oh, and about Meg. That scene with Billy Crystal?

She was recalling our first date. :)

 

Post a Comment